Saturday, May 15, 2010

Nobelity

I happened to see the DVD One Peace at a Time at Blockbuster (featuring the music of Willie Nelson and others). I thought it was in the $3.99 bin, but it turned out to be a rental. So I put it back.

Anyway looking at the comments on Amazon, it's sort of the sequel to Nobelity which is a film which interviews Nobel Laureates about their ideas on solving the world's problems. The project was spearheaded by Turk Pipkin who is an actor turned activist (well, I think he's still an actor).

The Nobelity Project has a website and a series of videos on youtube.

I see they're selling Nobelity for $24.95 and One Peace at a Time for $19.95.

I'm thinking I should begin by solving my own problems first (and I should -- just looking at the piles I stuff around me). But it looks like I can pick up Nobelity for "free" (well for a credit) at swapadvd, so maybe I should pounce on it. Maybe it'll give me a kick in the pants..

...

Do it! (Especially since there's only one copy available.) It'll be my first DVD ordered through swapadvd. (Right now, I have four credits to use. One free one to start. Two from three books I sent. And another from the Star Trek DVD I posted. And hopefully two more to come when the Star Trek gets received -- one for the DVD and one Movie Mogul credit.

Put it this way. If I saw this used on sale at Blockbuster, I would probably pick it up. And if it were to suddenly be gone from dvdswap, I would regret not grabbing it.

Doing a search at swapadvd for Nobelity also turns up Beyond The Call which is a DVD containing three short movies including an interview apparently from Nobelity. Evidently Beyond The Call appeared on PBS.

...

One Peace at a Time. Let's start with the pile on the coffee table..

***

[5/17/10] Cool. Turk Pipkin himself left a comment. Here's a link to his blog.

***

[5/24/10] Got the DVD on Saturday, watched it early this morning (woke up and went back to sleep). A very noble effort. Kind of reminded me of Charles Kuralt show, except Turk traveled around the world, talked to important people, and asked important questions. I can see where it might be slightly controversial, especially regarding comments on global warming. And some comments by Desmond Tutu. But I take everybody's opinions in high regard. Now to see if I can scoop up One Peace At A Time (and perhaps try to do my small part).

***

[3/22/13] Browsing Popcorn Flix on my Roku and notice that both Nobelity and One Peace at a Time are available on it (for free!).  I see they're also on hulu.  10 Questions for the Dalai Lama is also on popcorn flix (and hulu too).

[6/9/12] One Peace at a Time on youtube.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Lots of free streaming video from Nobelity and One Peace at a Time at the Nobelity Project's website, www.nobelity.org, or at the YouTube site, www.youtube.com/nobelityproject