Wednesday, June 25, 2014

say no to excess

Like rats in a wheel, chasing more and more cheese won’t get you anywhere. You’ll just end up exhausted. And that’s why the rat race is a no-win proposition. In the end, you’re still just a rat like everyone else.

Getting out of the rut is easy. Just say no to excess.

I’ve found that all I really need in life to be happy is basic shelter, decent food and drink in my belly, loved ones, a little sunshine here and there, good health, and plenty of time to enjoy the many free activities I like to partake in, like: writing, reading, relaxing, and staying active.

It just doesn’t take that much money to live a fulfilling life. I have found time to be far more beneficial to my happiness than money, and since money is limited I decided to start buying time with my money rather than more stuff.

I often think of Maslow’s hierarchy of needs and note that there’s not a new Corvette anywhere in there. Once you have the basics in life covered, like: shelter, running water, electricity, access to food, love, security, warmth, freedom, and the ability to express yourself, your happiness level is already pretty much maxed out. Trying to eke out a bit more with a big house, nice car, and more clothes than you know what to do with will likely only lead to the exact opposite of what you seek. Instead of material goods, I would recommend thinking about independence.

Conclusion

I found myself stuck in a rut more than four years ago. And I decided to take a good look around me and focus on what made me really happy. The rest had to go, and go it did. Since then I’ve funneled all of my excess capital into income-producing investments so that the rat wheel eventually turns without me running my legs off. This leads to the freedom and independence in life that I so aggressively crave. Once your basic expenses are covered for you without any work on your part you’re free to pursue passions with reckless abandon. And you won’t be exhausted any more from running on the wheel all day long. That means more energy to spend on things that you genuinely enjoy. That may be raising your children, traveling, reading, programming, building, or just thinking. It’s about finding value in your life, and making sure your spending is aligned with that. Spending money on things that do not build value for your life is just a waste of money that could otherwise be quite productive.

No comments: