Saturday, March 09, 2013

korean dramas

With the acquisition of my roku, I'm starting to use it for Korean dramas for my mom to watch.  I think it might work because they have subtitles (and her hearing isn't so good).  Plus my sister and aunties watch too.  So she might as well join the crowd.

Not familiar with the titles, but I started with Dong Yi since it sounded familiar.

And now I'm looking for other shows.

Another popular one was Dae Jung Geum which was directed by the producer of Dong Yi.

Jumong is one mentioned at Amazon (as other items customers buy).

Looking up Jumong, I see it is considered a major part of the Korean wave which refers to "the increase in popularity of South Korean entertainment beginning in the 1990s.

Other popular titles mentioned in the wikipedia article are

Winter Sonata (2002)
Dae Jang Geum
Boys Over Flowers

Here's a list of the most popular Korean Dramas in the 2000s.

1. Coffee Prince (2007)
2. Goong (2006) [aka Palace, Princess Hours, Imperial Household]
3. My Name is Kim Sam-Soon (2005) [aka My Lovely Sam Soon]
4. Full House (2004)
5. Stairs to Heaven (2003)
6. Daejanggeum (2002) [Jewel in the Palace, Great Jang Geum]
7. Winter Sonata (2002)

Cool,  I see Jewel in the Palace is on crunchy roll (which is where dong yi is too).  Unlike DramaFever, all the episodes are free on Roku.  (The full DramaFever is only free over the internet.)

Let's see.  Looking on crunchyroll's website, I see they have Boys Over Flowers, Coffee Prince, Princess Hours, Jumong, Dong Yi, Jewel in the Palace, My Lovely Samsoon, and lots more.

[I see Winter Sonata on youtube.  Heck, I see Donna logged on to youtube on my computer (donnacwong).  I'll create a playlist :)  Actually it's easier to subscribe to the uploader Syahir Ahir.]

This should keep my mom occupied for a while.

No comments: