Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Larry King to hang up suspenders

In an announcement that ricocheted throughout the media world Tuesday, venerable talk show host Larry King said he will be stepping down after 25 years of hosting CNN's "Larry King Live.

"It's time to hang up my nightly suspenders," King said in a message via Twitter.

Later in the day, he released a more fleshed-out statement that he also read at the top of his primetime show.

"Before I start the show tonight, I want to share some personal news with you," he said. "Twenty-five years ago, I sat across this table from New York Governor Mario Cuomo for the first broadcast of 'Larry King Live.'

"Now, decades later, I talked to the guys here at CNN and I told them I would like to end 'Larry King Live,' the nightly show, this fall and CNN has graciously accepted, to agree to giving me more time for my wife and I to get to the kids' little league games."

He added that after leaving in the fall, he will remain affiliated with the cable news network in a more limited capacity, hosting the occasional special.

No comments: