Saturday, August 27, 2005

Collections Online

[3/24/14] I guess DVDCrate is OK, but one major limitation is that it just orders your collection in date acquired order.  No way to sort by title, or by rating, or by category, or by anything.  So doing a search, there was an alternate site suggested by a member.  It's itrackmine.com (which does books and music too).  So let's try this one.

Without even looking, it already looks pretty decents as it got reviewed by lifehacker and mashable.

[3/22/14] For some reason, I did a search for DVDSpot (I think I was looking for DVD Reviews, but I forgot the name of dvdtalk).  Anyway, I came up with this alternative for DVDSpot.  DVDCrate.  Looks like there's potential.  But then I've already created a google docs spreadsheet for my DVD Collection.

Looks like the collections (they call it a "crate") are sorted by date acquired.  Don't see anyway to sort by title or by genre or by rating.  Or by anything.  So that's a definite minus.

[11/16/08] As I went to add Bruce and Lloyd to my collection, I see the DVDSpot is gone. Sob. I don't know if I want to go back to dvdaficionado.

I've been using guzzlefish for keeping my collections of DVDs, CDs, and video games online. But guzzlefish has problems updating its data base and more importantly it's chronically down (and has been down for weeks).

I'm switching over to DVDSpot for my DVDs and I still have my dvdaficonado account.

For video games, I've fiddled with sonicswap.

For books, there's bibliophil.org.

[4/29/10 - also for books, I've been on shelfari and lately paperback swap (which has the added bonus of trading books with others). And now I have just seen and am going to try goodreads (on a search on the author of Value Investing for Dummies. Hey, after a couple of minutes with goodreads, I kind of like it. Pretty friendly interface. And now on a search for "goodreads for movies" I see flixster. I'm liking both. Trying to create a list and it's not showing up as one of my lists. It's there though as I can find it by other searches... OK, apparently it takes a while.]

[6/23/10 - Hey why not just use the google books library for my book collection? I'm going to try it now, but it looks quite promising.]

[6/23/10 - OK I tried google books library. It's OK. But I think I like using paperbackswap the best so far.]

I think there's another site for CDs, but I can't seem to find it now. I'll post it here when/if I find it. Here's one that looks promising: discogs.com. It seems to be primarily a database of recording artists and albums, but it allows you to keep a collection there too. It's a user-built database and looks fairly new. So there's still a lot of holes, but it seems to be growing fast.

[9/2/05] discog is full of holes and they seem to very picky about accepting submissions for their missing entries. I've started to put some my CDs in sonicswap instead, but it seems to be sluggish at times.

[9/2/05] I forgot about this one. I had put some of my video game/computer game collection at ign.com

[9/19/05] I ventured over to gamespot (I don't think it's affiliated with dvdspot) which allows you to catalog your video game collection. A relate site there is mp3.com which says you can put in your music collection. So I'm trying it out. The gamespot collection looks pretty good. On the hand, mp3.com is undergoing problems. Though it does seem to have a nice database of albums, I'm unable to add them to my collection. I'll try again later.

[9/21/05] I see mp3.com has a major bug. When adding albums that are by various artists, it doesn't work. And when you add them to the wish list, it shows up as a blank entry that can't be deleted. It does seem to have a fairly complete database though, so if this problem can be fixed it would be my recommended site.

No comments: